Writing this discussion thread up to mirror the same one for the "All That is SPI" discussion thread.  What are the Avalon HIll games that--not only do you still play them--but they generally have not been superseded?  These games are not only classics, but they endure beyond those titles intended to replace them.  Some of them might get newer editions by other companies after AH went away, but it still counts so you can list them here!

So heree they are, those timeless AH wargames:

Views: 905

Replies to This Discussion

This is one of the best science-fiction games ever made.  Still attracts a lot of play these days, even given competition from ECLIPSE and TWILIGHT: IMPERIUM (3d Ed).  Remains quite faithful in theme to the book.  Gotta love the Bene Gesserit victory conditions (must successfully predict the game winner!) Can't say enough good about this title.

This is the game that made area movement/combat games popular and launched a genre that still exists today.  While others are getting heavily modified (BREAKOUT: NORMANDY is going to be simplified into STORM OVER NORMANDY (MMP and STORM OVER STALINGRAD (MMP) supersedes--for some--TURNING POINT: STALINGRAD), nothing seems to be better than this title.  Deserves a reprint; wonderful game.

Well this choice surprises me. While Storm over Arnheim introduced the area movement system, the truly outstanding new features were introduced with Turning Point: Stalingrad. You cannot activate all areas and all units. You don't know how long you will be able to activate areas today( or tonight), you must decide which action is the most important now, a complete new concept after 30 years of traditional - I move all units - hexagon wargaming. All that is missing in Storm over Arnheim.

I definitely enjoyed the traditional hexagon cosim 'monsters', but when I found TP:S, the days of those games were over. I will never again just watch another player moving his pieces for an hour or more! If somebody would say that the complexity of TP:S is lower than Siege of Jerusalem, I could definitely agree for rules, number of units/counters and length of game. But not for decision-making or planning ahead. These elements of deciding what is most important, the uncertainty about the length of the day( and the weather in Breakout: Normandy), and the continuous chance/threat of a breakthrough add new layers of complexity.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Dave Hall posted photos
20 hours ago
Eric Walters and Mike Palmer are now friends
22 hours ago
Dave Hall updated their profile
yesterday
Jonathan F posted a status
"Eric, thanks. i got super busy right as i joined and had to put on hold the plunge. now it's on!"
yesterday
Dave Hall joined Jon Compton's group
Thumbnail

Gaming Modern and Hypothetical Conflict

Games that deal with modern or hypothetical conflict have become rare. The challenges that would-be…See More
yesterday
Jason Weiser commented on Jay Czarnecki's group Baltimore-DC-Northern Virginia Area Gamers
"Am long time wargamer in the Fairfax area. Have a few GMT, Gamers, GDW, and AH titles I would love…"
yesterday
Eloy Muñoz Galvez and Sebastián Alarcón Diaz are now friends
yesterday
Mike Palmer posted a discussion

Bataan by Cmpass Games

I've set up the first learning scenario for Bataan, Pearly Gates, and although everything…See More
yesterday

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service