There are those SPI games that have bit the dust over time--some for deservedly good reasons--and others that we still keep playing even after all these many years.  I thought I'd devote a section to those that we break out now and then to sit down and play.  Call them classics--call them whatever; we like them and, at least in our mind, they have never been superseded.  

What SPI games have you kept over the years and don't think you'll ever replace with anything newer or shinier?  Why?

Views: 1892

Replies to This Discussion

War of The Ring - Captures the LoTR trilogy better than any other before or since. Played 2x in the last month!

I'll second that. With a few judicious mods, the game really has no equal. It's a Classic in every sense of the word. I don't want the Parthenon replaced by something newer and shinier.......

StarForce. Unmatched to this day- a shining example of the works of Analog Man.

I still have Panzer Army Afrika from the early 1970's. I'm keeping it because it was my 1st Wargame and was so good that I'm still in the hobby 40 years later. I agree with the earlier comment about Arnhem. Such a simple game that sums up the operational situation, and with the time deadline of 10 turns it nearly always comes down to a nail biting finnish.

WWII the original was my first game bought it from an add in Chess Life and Review! I still own it, still play it! Other great oldies, Phalanx, Grenadier (yeah most people hate it, but if you get over the lack of Napoleonic tactical features it's still a fun game to play) PreStags, Wellington's Victory, made 2k counters for this game, love it will never sell it! War in the East/War in Europe. Flawed design, took me 20 years of tinkering but finally found an optional rules set that works to make Armor king again, by allowing attack during movement and upping the Russian production to compensate. Did away with the AEx for OOS attacks, got an award from AHIKS for it. Played 3 games solo, it turns the game back into a WWII simm from a WWI sim, the quickstep is dead!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Christian A. Strasser replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Playing Stonewall Jackson's Way with my biweekly FTF buddy and trying to figure out Fifth…"
22 hours ago
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"2nd St. Albans (Blood & Roses) - A Yorkist victory against overwhelming Lancastrian odds, by…"
yesterday
Rob Schneggenburger joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
yesterday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: AH "Civilization" with gaming group. A great game. MMP's " Karelia…"
yesterday
CC Snyder posted a blog post

Review: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear (2nd Edition) from Academy Games - The Players' Aid

Grant and Alexander do a full-length video review of Awakening the Bear.…See More
yesterday
Brien Martin is now a member of ConsimWorld
Tuesday
Profile IconAustin harrison, Tracy Vierra and Bill Mitchell joined ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood: The Rise and Fall of Byzantium, 955A.D. to the First…"
Saturday

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service