For those of us who got excited when SPI's old DREADNOUGHT game got published and marveled at all the World War I and World War II era ships that the game contained...or salivated when Jack Greene was designing the FLEET ADMIRAL series and we wondered if Avalon Hill or some other company was going to publish it...the long, long, long wait is over. We knew it was going to happen--not only does the GWAS and SWWAS series cover the major naval campaigns and actions in both World War I and II, but there were all those hypothetical "U.S. War Plan Red/Gold/Black/Orange" games to fiddle with. But I still had those South American ships in my tattered old SPI DREADNOUGHT game. Would these ever get covered?

I stopped by the Avalanche Press warehouse today and got my copy of CONE OF FIRE. I can tell you, they have...in spades. The game set comes with rules and scenarios involving South American ships using both the GWAS and SWWAS systems. The box is chock full of goodies. There are THREE maps, running down the east coast of South America from Brazil all the way down to Tierra Del Fuego. Unfortunately, the map was printed at 95% of what was intended, so Avalanche Press assures me they'll send you replacements if you mail order...and if you bought your copy at a store or some other outlet, they'll send you the replacement maps if you let them know (but you'll have to pick up the shipping cost).

Well, I don't have counter "crunch" with either of the series systems, so it's not a problem that prevents you from playing.

I have to applaud Avalanche Press for doing these two naval systems and supporting them so well. These are wonderfully playable games at both the operational/campaigning and tactical scales. The color and ship detail makes this naval wargame nut very, very happy....

Views: 43

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jeff Duffy updated their profile
Friday
Mike Palmer posted a discussion

Cora, The Normandy Campaign Decision Games

Hi, I'm currently learning the rules for Cobra, The Normandy campaign by Decision Games. I hope…See More
Thursday
Zachary Miller left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks for the hearty welcome, Eric. I really like COH 3rd edition. The extra roll really adds that…"
Thursday
Dave Smith posted a blog post

A bit of a mystery.... who can solve this one?

When I returned to board wargaming in 2000 I started buying up used games and magazines from our…See More
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Zachary Miller
"Zachary, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  Am guessing you are quite happy with COH…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Frank E Watson
"Frank, as a fellow RAGEr, I'm personally glad to see you here!  Welcome to the…"
Wednesday
Profile IconFrank E Watson and Zachary Miller joined ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: Decision Games "RAF" intro twice. Brits hung on. Good game. Nuts! Publishing game…"
Sep 21

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service