S/G gives players a chance to run complex naval operations that are abstracted in most games. Naval gaming is so niche designers gloss over naval ops in most (all) land games. AH's BISMARCK is the only S/G competitor I can think of and a few Midway/Guadal games. But all of these were published and done. AP keeps finding new stuff to publish making the series richer. Kristin Ann High's ODE TO SWWAS sums up the good, but it can't make the bad go away: TACTICAL system.

The tac system DRIVES people away from S/G in droves. Too many naval grognards won't touch it with a 10 foot pole! GWAS is especially egregious with major campaigns seeing 30 DD/TB's sunk in action. Players fear torps and stamp out the little guys like ants. One hit and gone with a Hull hit.

"THIS IS AMERICA! THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!" *

Some folks think playing naval mini's will work. It will, if you don't mind rolling around on the floor 8 hours per battle. DREADNOUGHTS said; here's a new chassis with chrome. While the chrome was welcome it changed things for the sake of change without fixing the flaws.

So I've thought on this for years and concluded there has to be a way to add realism without adding excessive time. After discussions with Jim D. I started on WW2 DREADNOUGHTS with my new ideas added in. Jim laughed and drop kicked the idea over the side. :-(

So back to the drawing board. Jim approved, now Russell and two others have my revised Tac System. It brings in the missing chrome i.e. Smoke, Radar. Ships take unlimited Gunnery Hull hits without sinking. Flooding (and not stopping it) and Fires (and not putting them out) sink ships. Torpedoes MOSTLY still kill the old way but Hull hits by shells MOSTLY re-arrange the wreckage or as they say: "If you want to let in air, use bombs and shells, if you want to let in water, use mines and torpedoes."

To do all this required almost no rule changes, just plugging in new Damage Tables, extra rules to use them and chrome plus Very Optional Detailing rules: Collisions, super-heavy shells, formations.

So now I'm awaiting results and fixes from my blind playtesters to see if it works.

*The penguin Opus in Bloom County

Views: 690

Replies to This Discussion

Good stuff, Jim, thanks. Clarifies a number of things. I'm ready for my next bombardment assignment!
Yikes, I should have read back a bit more before posting. I'd love to see your rules when they're ready!
Something like the combat system in the 2nd edition AH Bismarck might work. It was simple but not simplistic, and did a good job of showing the effect of different speeds. With a few modifications it would be better than the current system and much faster than a miniatures-like approach.
Revised rules are completed and were sent to AP a couple of weeks ago.
Any chance we're going to see them soon?
Hi Steve. I've been looking for ideas about improving the GWaS tactical battle sequence since it really is the weakest part of an otherwise splendid game series. I saw your post and am interested to see what you came up with. Since I didn't find anything on Avalanche Press's Daily Content of yours I joined this discussion group to contact you directly to see if you have anything posted or to see if you can send the rules. Another person (Chris Perleberg) posted some ideas on http://grognard.com/variants/gwas.txt
Also does anyone have advice about how to start a gaming club? Myrtle Beach, SC doesn't appear to have anything of this sort currently. David
Have you or Russell posted these new tactical versions? David
Not me. It's Steve's baby. I mostly recommended ways to lay out the details of the system in a more readable fashion. (Avalanche's pedestrian page layout conventions generally hinder the clear presentation of their rules.)
Did Steve's ideas go over at all with Avalanche Press and did they, in fact, improve the tactical system?
I've no way of knowing. Possibly Steve doesn't know either, or does.
RS

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"2nd St. Albans (Blood & Roses) - A Yorkist victory against overwhelming Lancastrian odds, by…"
3 hours ago
Rob Schneggenburger joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
5 hours ago
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: AH "Civilization" with gaming group. A great game. MMP's " Karelia…"
8 hours ago
CC Snyder posted a blog post

Review: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear (2nd Edition) from Academy Games - The Players' Aid

Grant and Alexander do a full-length video review of Awakening the Bear.…See More
9 hours ago
Brien Martin is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
Profile IconAustin harrison, Tracy Vierra and Bill Mitchell joined ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood: The Rise and Fall of Byzantium, 955A.D. to the First…"
Saturday
Walt Burrell is now a member of ConsimWorld
Saturday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service