Wonder what you consider the 'best' games about the Bulge as for ergonomics/uncomplexity vs historical relevance ?
I love Tigers in the Mist (GMT) - naturally, because I'm #1 in its Ladder now ;-) but it has its quirks - "too harsh" irreversible attrition; counterattacks strongly punished; Bastogne rarely is worth leaving as an "island"...
Also played Bulge (AH/Smithsonian 1991) and it has its quirks too, more severe - notably in the victory conditions. Germans can infiltrate, encircle and liquidate a few US divisions, then retreat with minimal loss off map to Germany... (that would mean abandon the Siegfried Line ?!?)
The new Fast Action Battles: Bulge (FAB1) looks intriguing... still divisions as basic units isn't too little choice ?

... For the heavy side: I've heard good about the classic Wacht am Rhein; wonder what other good/better alternatives there are, and in what cases the extra work is worth the better story...

Thanks for thinking about this ! Mircea

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

For me, the best one I ever played was SPI's Battles for the Ardennes.

I wish I had a copy now.

Right now, on the list of games to play are two bulge games; SPI's Wacht am Rhein and 'Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes'

L2's Bitter Woods looks really nice; I have often condiered its purchase.
Without a doubt Iron Tide, More simulation- less shelf time. I could be predjudiced of course, being that I designed my favorite system into the Bulge.
I'm finally going to get a chance to play Iron Tide sometime this month. Looking forward to it, beautiful looking game.
The original AH Battle of the Bulge game (1965) is often knocked for the historical accuracy of its deployment, but wherever I've read this no-one's given specifics. I've just checked the game's initial US depoyment with maps and information on the US Army military history website and it seems perfectly in order. Nothing glaringly out of position. Does anyone know the precise nature of the criticism of this game in terms of deployment?
For simple, you probably can't beat One-Page Bulge (Steve Jackson Games), though it's now out of print.

Soon to come, though, is Bulge 20 (Victory Point Games), which looks like a novel, command-centered approach.

My first historical wargame was the 1965 edition of AH's Bulge, which I bought in 1970 or so. Liked the 1981 version better. Didn't care for the 1991 "Smithsonian" edition.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Profile IconRon Fisher and Chelsea Rose Wendt joined ConsimWorld
yesterday
CC Snyder posted a blog post

878 Vikings Strategy Guide Pt. 2: Playing the English

Academy Games Creative Director Gunter Eickert has put together the second part of his strategy…See More
Thursday
Dave Smith posted a photo

C&C:N

One of the games I'll be running at this year's Pacificon
Thursday
Dave Smith posted a blog post

"Borg Fest" 2018 at Pacificon

I'll be among the dozen or so gamers running Command and Colors games at this year's Pacificon in…See More
Thursday
PittHistoryGuy left a comment for PittHistoryGuy
"Thanks, Eric! Will do."
Thursday
Stephen Weiss left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks Eric! Yeah, can't wait for Stalingrad '42 and the next game in the Next War…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for PittHistoryGuy
"Welcome to the website!  You seem to be a Renaissance Man/Wargamer with a diverse set of…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Stephen Weiss
"Stephen, welcome to the website!  You've got some eclectic tastes in games and they are…"
Wednesday

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service