Where would we be without the gaming magazines out there to support our passion. To read reviews,find a new variant or scenario,have much needed errata ,get a new game in or just plain have some good reading. I have enjoyed my gaming magazines over the years and am sad at how many have gone by the wayside, much like many game companies. I do still love to sit down and read my old issues. many times they seem just as fresh as when I got them in the first time.

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

Kim,
I sorry it took me this long to find this thread. The roadside is littered with a lot of great magazines; I particularly miss the Canadian Wargamers Journal, which was a role model for Line of Departure, and The General, the granddaddy and the best of all the house organs. Then again, I really miss Avalon Hill.

There is one thing that I notice especially about The General. It was published to support and promote Avalon Hill's games, and it was extremely effective at doing that. Even now though, I can look over an old issue, and still want to dig out an old game and play it again. The excitement is still there, even if the magazine and the publisher are not.
Someone remembers the Canadian Wargamer? It had some of the neatest wargamer cartoons. As for The General, I actually entered and one of their contests. Even though I mostly play miniatures games, the old magazines bring back that youthful excitement (games other than checkers, scrabble, monopoly, and risk, how wonderful it was!).
The Canadian Wargamers Journal was the first "amateur" magazine that I firmly believed was a professional magazine, due to the production and editorial standards. It was a bad day for the hobby when they stopped publishing.

The General was absolutely brilliant at times, and some magazines are necessary supplements to the games that they feature. I get out the issue profiling MBT every time that I dig out the game, and to this day I wish that IDF had gotten a similar treatment.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Scott Martin left a comment for Eric Walters
"Sounds like a plan."
16 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Scott Martin
"When I do slow down, it would have to be RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN!  I love that game so much!"
17 hours ago
"I have been recently replenishing my collection of AH and SPI games.  AK or Stalingrad (or The…"
Thursday
"Well it was current about 15 years ago, give or take... I've been in the SF Bay Area for the…"
Thursday
Eric Walters commented on Eric Walters's group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"New game out on small unit infantry combat in the Central Highlands of Vietnam--yes, it's all…"
Wednesday
"Sometime I should get into VASSAL--I just never have time for it these days with school,…"
Wednesday
"The current T-shirt looks terrific!  I like the "roll well and live" design on it!"
Wednesday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have just started on the two volumes on French tanks by Steven Zaloga. This was sparked by…"
Wednesday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service