The point's been made earlier--GDW in its heyday (and CONFLICT for that matter) did games--good games--on topics nobody else would touch back in the 1970s and 1980s. Today, we take this for granted--after all, World War I and Ancients games are hot sellers (right GMT?). But that wasn't always the case. GDW published games on Burma, the Crimean War, Dien Bien Phu, Chinese Farm 1973, Torgau and Lobositz (Frederick the Great), as well as many others. Conflict did Verdun, Kalkhin Gol, and others. What were your favorite "arcane" games by GDW and Conflict Games...and why?

Views: 98

Replies to This Discussion

Pharsalas was a nice ancients game,yes it badly needed leader and facing rules( which house rules and new leader counters took care of) but along with AH's Alexander the Great it gave us a battle SPI hadn't touched. That and Torgau- still one of the best tactical games on Frederick the Great .

I always loved Eylau. yes it was in the NaW mold but was regimental and had that great snow blizzard rule.
The Conflict line was good. I liked the remakes of Kasserine Pass( Conflict 2nd edtion) Not the GDW remake they had to split into two games along with Verdun,Overlord Fall of Tobruk. and Bar Lev.

Citadel was a classic. I only wish they had made the map with hill contours like in their Avalance game. that would have made it better. That and had Weapon pits plus more Trench markers.

Their 2nd edtion of La Bataille de la Moskowa that was really good( I have the first edtion which I do still like to play) .

And yes the entire Series 120 line was a ground breaker( ok, Agincourt not the best of the group or 1942). nice easy,fun games to play.

Problem is GDW/Conflict had so many good games like SPI did that it's hard to really pick which ones were the top of my list.

Oh,Eric-Kalkhin Gol was done in Conflict "magazine" and thenas a Pouch game by SDC. But hey, GDW most likely would have done it better anyway. I like that darn Kalkhin Gol game , Much better(IMHO) then Decisions S&T version of the battle
Bloodtree Rebellion, because it was a surprisingly good evocation of Vietnam in a science fiction setting.

Chaco, just because no one had done it before!

Velikiye Luki and Citadel, for their idea of "infinite" movement allowances.

Most of the Series 120 games, because they were all neat problems - few duds in the mix. My favourite 120 game is Beda Fomm.
I know this is off the beaten path - but you can get full scans of the Traveller related boardgames legally at www.farfuture.net. Just goes to show how far and wide GDW ranged...

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Andy Loakes posted a status
"LYG July Update Complete You can find it here: www.limeyyankgames.co.uk"
7 hours ago
Adrien Lamothe updated their profile
20 hours ago
David Wilkinson left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi Eric Thanks for the warm welcome . Getting more time to enjoy my favorite hobby of wargaming…"
yesterday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Masters of the Battlefield: Great Commanders From The Classical Age To The Napoleonic…"
yesterday
Eric Walters commented on Ian Schofield's photo
Thursday
Ian Schofield posted a photo
Thursday
Eric Walters left a comment for David Wilkinson
"Welcome to the Consimworld Social Website, David!  And a belated welcome back to the wargaming…"
Wednesday
David Wilkinson is now a member of ConsimWorld
Wednesday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service