Smolensk '41 Mogilev scenario starting positions and my planned attack points. Capturing Mogilev is the objective in this game.

Points a & b will be where I will concentrate my attack, c is where I will feint an assault directly, with the hope of  preventing the AI moving to many units to bolster the defenses at point a & b. That is the plan, but it may well all fall apart, but that remains to be seen!

I plan to do regular updates of my progress - A Living After Action Report!

Views: 292

Replies to This Discussion

Roger, are there exit hexes in this scenario? (It has been awhile since I have played Smolensk... and I am not certain if I have ever played this particular one -but the set up looks identical to the larger version of the campaign scenario.).

Have a look at your reinforcements (for the Germans), if it is based upon the historical grand campaign scenario - then you will have some infantry divisions (foot) coming along later.

I don't know how the AI handles things -but what I would do as a Russian inside of Mogilev is try very hard to stand opposite the bridges in town -and I don't mean with the idea that they can actually hold there- but they might be able to long enough to create rubble in the urban hexes which would create some problematic bottlenecks.

What I do in these situations is favour a more broad approach -and make judicious use of my mounted infantry/engineers going 'on foot' so they can traverse the swamp hexes. (And of course, mounting them back up after the bottlenecks caused by the swamp areas are cleared.

I would recommend not using a panzer division inside of Mogilev -but rather (if you have to) lightly screen off the town until the infantry divisions arrive - and use the rest of the elements in the exploitation phase of your river attack. To that end I actually don't use a panzer division but rather the SS unit there (which I think is a motorised infantry unit -and consequently has less armour).

But that is just me -It will be interesting to see what results you get. You definitely have the mobility advantage in this one -therefore you have the ability to encircle and destroy large portions of the Russian units (which might be more points than the vp hexes).

Interesting choices... :)

Happy gaming.

Steve, thanks for your tactical view on this, it has given me more food for thought, and just after I posted the picture, I had started to change my tactics (a Commanders prerogative!), and now with your views, I will re-assess what I will do.

I have to admit, this is the first time I have really sat down and tried playing an HPS Panzer game (I have tinkered around with it before but not seriously) and I think for my first game I have picked a more involved scenario. I should have used one of the smaller ones first just get accustomed to how the whole game works, as there is quite a lot to these games for the newcomer to digest.

Roger, I was curious to know what optional rules you are using? Explicit supply? Virtual supply? Or just the default 'off-map' rules. I ask this because you are starting a 'large scenario.'

Here's a very informative link concerning the evolution of supply:

http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/exp_supply/exp_supply2.html

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Kevin Duke left a comment for Eric Walters
"I'm with you. We actually hosted the "Team Squad Leader" tournament at Origins the…"
Thursday
Eric Walters left a comment for Kevin Duke
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website, Kevin!  As you can see, we'll be undergoing a…"
Thursday
Eric Walters left a comment for Peter Gordon Rider
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Peter!  As you can see, we'll be undergoing a…"
Thursday
Profile IconKevin Duke and Peter Gordon Rider joined ConsimWorld
Thursday
Ian Schofield posted photos
Tuesday
Shannon commented on Brant Guillory's group Triangle Area (NC) Wargaming
"I am also playing mostly solo at the moment due to Covid. I very much enjoy Red Storm and Skies…"
Monday
Jamey Cribbs commented on Brant Guillory's group Triangle Area (NC) Wargaming
"Glad to hear you two are interested in doing some wargaming!  We will need to wait until the…"
Monday
Shawn King commented on Brant Guillory's group Triangle Area (NC) Wargaming
"I've been playing a bunch of the solo games I have, like Ardennes, Conflict of Heroes, and…"
Monday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2021   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service