Squad Leader (and similar games) as a tool for creating tactical decision games (TDGs) and free wargames

In the early 1980s, when I was serving on active duty and a great enthusiast for the Squad Leader franchise, I used the scenarios, boards, and playing pieces from that game system to simple create tactical decision games (TDGs) for the Marines of my section and free war games to play with my brother officers.  I found this worked very well and, in particular, allowed the players to overcome one of the great obstacles to playing board war games, that of formal rules.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

LCOL Ivor Gardiner, CO 1 Royal Irish, had an article in an issue of British Army Review where he discussed his use of Advanced Squad Leader as a tool for training the junior officers in his battalion in making combat estimates, planning operations and comparing Courses of Action.

Attached.

Brian

Attachments:

Brian, you'll be gratified to know that the ASL Starter Kit #1 featured in the article was the game I demonstrated to four Marines at the "Rejuvenating Maneuver Warfare" workshop.  For such an inexpensive package it provides a great deal of worthwhile tactical play.

For both you and Bruce: in the first issue of Recon By Fire (published by Heat of Battle game company), Steve Dethlefsen recounted how he used ASL pieces (this was years before the ASL Starter Kit series) and his home grown maps to train his Marine platoon in attacking Iraqi positions prior to the kick-off of the ground war in OPERATION DESERT STORM.  If I can dig that issue up, I'll scan and post the article.

This is splendid.  Thank you so much for the post, as well as for the article.

I am about to begin experimenting with the use of games using with present-day (post 2001) scenarios as "free war games."

I will report on this on this site, and on "The Military Instructor" as well.

Bruce, think we'd all want to hear about how this works out!  Looking forward to it!

Here is an old article about Steve Deflethsen's use of Advanced Squad Leader Code of Bushido to train his Marines prior to the ground war in OPERATION DESERT STORM.  This was originally printed in Heat of Battle's Recon...by Fire! magazine, in the premier issue.

ASL%20IN%20DESERT%20STORM.pdf

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Markm1767 commented on Markm1767's photo
Thumbnail

tw1

"Played Trenchfoot(one the flea market games I got at Historicon 2018)Scenario 1: The Storming on…"
yesterday
Markm1767 posted photos
yesterday
Chris Longstreet is now a member of ConsimWorld
Friday
CC Snyder posted a blog post

1775 Rebellion Rulebook Update

We are currently doing another reprint of 1775 Rebellion and have updated the rulebook, which is…See More
Jul 11
CC Snyder is now a member of ConsimWorld
Jul 11
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Wakefield Set-Up - 1460. The Yorkists approach. 1st St. Albans 1455-Lancastrians lose, Yorkists…"
Jul 10
Gilbert Collins updated their profile
Jul 10
Gilbert Collins joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Jul 10

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service