Squad Leader (and similar games) as a tool for creating tactical decision games (TDGs) and free wargames

In the early 1980s, when I was serving on active duty and a great enthusiast for the Squad Leader franchise, I used the scenarios, boards, and playing pieces from that game system to simple create tactical decision games (TDGs) for the Marines of my section and free war games to play with my brother officers.  I found this worked very well and, in particular, allowed the players to overcome one of the great obstacles to playing board war games, that of formal rules.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

LCOL Ivor Gardiner, CO 1 Royal Irish, had an article in an issue of British Army Review where he discussed his use of Advanced Squad Leader as a tool for training the junior officers in his battalion in making combat estimates, planning operations and comparing Courses of Action.

Attached.

Brian

Attachments:

Brian, you'll be gratified to know that the ASL Starter Kit #1 featured in the article was the game I demonstrated to four Marines at the "Rejuvenating Maneuver Warfare" workshop.  For such an inexpensive package it provides a great deal of worthwhile tactical play.

For both you and Bruce: in the first issue of Recon By Fire (published by Heat of Battle game company), Steve Dethlefsen recounted how he used ASL pieces (this was years before the ASL Starter Kit series) and his home grown maps to train his Marine platoon in attacking Iraqi positions prior to the kick-off of the ground war in OPERATION DESERT STORM.  If I can dig that issue up, I'll scan and post the article.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2017
"Tigris & Euphrates with the Group.  Pure Euro tile placement, only marginally related to…"
6 hours ago
Grant Laing joined Doug Cooley's group
Thumbnail

Fields of Fire

Dedicated to the 2008 GMT release of the same name. A rare solitaire effort that leverages some…See More
23 hours ago
Rae Noritake left a comment for Dorian Key
"Hi Dorien, Just signed up for ConsimWorld and saw your post looking for local gamers. There is a…"
Thursday
Rae Noritake joined Jay Czarnecki's group
Thumbnail

Baltimore-DC-Northern Virginia Area Gamers

This purpose of this group is to create a census of gamers in the Baltimore-DC-Virginia area, and…See More
Thursday
Rae Noritake joined Kim Meints's group
Thumbnail

Everything OSG

The Birth,death and then Rebirth of OSG and all it's games
Thursday
Rae Noritake joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Hexdraw Users

a place to discuss which new graphics are needed to realize your MapsSee More
Thursday
Rae Noritake joined John Bobek's group
Thursday
Rae Noritake joined Tony's group
Thumbnail

Map Making

Group to discuss boardgame Map Making.Where amateur and published map makers can discuss and assist…See More
Thursday

Groups

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service