Most monster games are gorgeous when fully set up or in play. Large detailed and colorful maps with lines of brightly colored counters that just beg for observers to get a bit closer and look more. Almost like a good miniatures game. What is your most beautiful monstergame when set up this way? Share stories...and--better yet--pictures!

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

My candidates for the most attractive monstergames when set up and in play--in priority order:

#1: STREETS OF STALINGRAD (3d Edition). Made a graphically impressive game that much better.
#2: SUMMER STORM by Clash of Arms Games. Rick Barber...of course. Tough, because there's those La Battaille and Battles of the Age of Reason that are close contenders. I also like the GMT monsters on Gettysburg and Chickamauga. RSS games, while sharp, just don't have the same effect on me graphically.
#3: WACHT AM RHEIN II, if only for the maps...and the counters don't look bad either
#4: HIGHWAY TO THE REICH. Even after all these years...still gives me goosebumps
#5 RED BARRICADES and/or VALOR OF THE GUARDS (HASL modules). They convey the atmosphere of desperate city fighting...

Runner ups: Any RED SASH wargame--they all look beautiful when set up, EPIC OF THE PELOPONNESIAN WAR, WAR IN THE PACIFIC (2nd Ed), AVALANCHE: THE SALERNO LANDINGS, OPERATION CRUSADER, any of the EASTERN FRONT SERIES games, GUDERIAN'S BLITZKRIEG II, TWILIGHT IN THE EAST: 1914, KORSUN POCKET.

I'm sure you have your favorites that are different than mine. Share them!
How about The Strugle for Europe series from COA? I think the maps are just beautiful, in fact they are some of the nicest maps I have ever seen. Plus, the pieces (not counting the US forces) are beautiful. The Russian pieces have "Guards" symbols on the guards units and German Alpine units have an "edelweiss" on them. THe game has 4.5 maps or so. I have played the campaign game once but not to completion. A good game although I wish there was a CRT for mobile attacks in the game.
Attachments:
Here is a pic with some units on it......
Attachments:
And the battel for France......
Attachments:
Ah, we note that the Germans aren't even messing with the British, but ganging up on the French. Sure doesn't look too good for the Allies in the south, does it!
Those Polish pieces are the best on the map. Definitely hearken to their national flag and military roundel colors, given these pieces. Nice photograph that really shows the graphic attractiveness of this game...
Great photo of the map, Dan. Clash of Arms always does phenomenal artwork for their games. I could list nearly every monster game they've done in recent years--picked the Gettysburg Game SUMMER STORM as the best of the lot, but certainly STRUGGLE FOR EUROPE series is the best looking game on the European Theater. Not even WAR IN EUROPE looks this good, and WORLD IN FLAMES just looks too busy for my tastes....
I like the pieces from World in Flames, especially the air units. All those different camo schemes for the different aircraft. In Strugle for Europe, the Russian units look the best to me folowed by the German, Polish, and then British. I think the American units could have been done better. They are basically green, white, with a little black. A white star denotates them from the other pieces. I wish the designer would have added a few more colors to the units. Maybe crossed rifles for the infantry and the armor symbol for the tank units.

I will say the game looks very impressive when set up. It is fun to play also, when I get the chance too....

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

John Edwards is now a member of ConsimWorld
15 hours ago
Bob DeSilva commented on Eric Walters's group All That is Avalon Hill
"Anyone know where I can get a counter list for Tobruk?"
yesterday
Bob DeSilva joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

All That is Avalon Hill

Recalling everything that was the old Avalon Hill Game Company and playing the new stuff since…See More
yesterday
Mark Traylor left a comment for Steve
"Steve:  Welcome to the area.  No ftf groups that I know of.  I generally have only…"
Sunday
Mark Traylor and Steve are now friends
Sunday
Eric Walters posted a photo

CATACLYSM -- early 1941-1942 Turn

In commemoration of the anniversary of both Operation BARBAROSSA and Operation BAGRATION on…
Sunday
zatoichi is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Steve joined Steve Dixon's group
Thumbnail

Operation Nordwind, Dec. 31, 1944 to January 18, 1945

Currently looking for play testers for this card driven game. It's meant to introduce new players…See More
Sunday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service