Here is an extra credit quiz that I offer in my Major Issues of Modern US History class at La Roche.  I don't announce it, and give it in the first five minutes of class.  If you're not there when it starts, you don't take it.  There are no make up opportunities.

The deal is that for each correct answer, the student gets one extra point on the next exam.  Wrong answers, or those which the student offers nothing, aren't penalized.  So the student who gets seven right, for example, and doesn't answer three questions, receives seven extra points on the next exam.  If the person throws it in the garbage, there's no penalty.  Also, if the adjusted test score is over a hundred, I don't cap it at a hundred.  So, theoretically the student could end up with 110% on an exam.

This might look kind of easy to most of us, but the average achievement is four correct.  Some do a little higher, but a lot do a lot less, no matter how hard I try.

So, give it a try:

1). The Truman Doctrine was:
1. President Harry S. Truman’s response to the “Red Scare” of the late 1940’s.
2. A commitment to use nuclear weapons, if necessary, to end the Korean War.
3. The policy of racially integrating the armed forces.
4. An open-ended commitment to help free countries defend themselves against Communist aggression or revolution.

2). The general foreign policy of the USSR after World War II was:
1. To create a buffer zone of friendly, Communist countries in Europe between it and a potential aggressor in the West.
2. To seek uniqueness, as the only Communist state in the world.
3. Active alliance with the United States and West, regardless of the cost.
4. Reconstruction of Germany as a forceful power in Europe.

3). What phrase best describes the character of Josef Stalin in regard to Soviet foreign policy:
1. Street-hustling sexual deviant.
2. Degenerate gambler.
3. Calculating pragmatist.
4. Blind idealist.

4). Of the following, which pair of countries was the chief original subject of the Truman Doctrine:
1. Germany and Japan.
2. Czechoslovakia and Poland.
3. Great Britain and France.
4. Greece and Turkey.

5). Which country did not attack Egypt during the Suez Crisis of 1956?
1. Great Britain.
2. Israel.
3. The United States.
4. France.

6). In the 1950’s, who was the leader of the People’s Republic of China?
1. Chiang Kai-shek
2. Mao Zedong
3. Kim Il Sung
4. Ho Chi Minh

7). In what year did the Korean War start?
1. 1948.
2. 1949.
3. 1950.
4. 1951.

8). What was the name of the decisive battle in 1954 that ended the French War in Vietnam?
1. Hanoi.
2. Inchon.
3. Dien Bien Phu.
4. The Tet Offensive.

9). Which of the following countries was not subject to an American-sponsored coup d’etat during the 1950’s?
1. Iran.
2. Guatemala.
3. Cuba.
4. Syria.

10). John F. Kennedy’s father, Joseph P. Kennedy, was:
1. A leading Irish-American politician.
2. Ambassador to the United Kingdom.
3. A habitual criminal.
4. All of the above.

Views: 122

Replies to This Discussion

Only four correct?  How depressing.  Well, I'd bet my Army majors wouldn't do much better!

I usually give this at eight in the morning, which would make it tougher for undergrads even more than officers.

Can't resist a quiz, especially one on Twilight Struggle! --

1). The Truman Doctrine was:
4. An open-ended commitment to help free countries defend themselves against Communist aggression or revolution.

2). The general foreign policy of the USSR after World War II was:
1. To create a buffer zone of friendly, Communist countries in Europe between it and a potential aggressor in the West.

3). What phrase best describes the character of Josef Stalin in regard to Soviet foreign policy:
3. Calculating pragmatist.

4). Of the following, which pair of countries was the chief original subject of the Truman Doctrine:
4. Greece and Turkey.

5). Which country did not attack Egypt during the Suez Crisis of 1956?
3. The United States.

6). In the 1950’s, who was the leader of the People’s Republic of China?
2. Mao Zedong

7). In what year did the Korean War start?
3. 1950.

8). What was the name of the decisive battle in 1954 that ended the French War in Vietnam?
3. Dien Bien Phu.

9). Which of the following countries was not subject to an American-sponsored coup d’etat during the 1950’s?
4. Syria.

10). John F. Kennedy’s father, Joseph P. Kennedy, was:
4. All of the above.

Thanks, Tim Smith

You ten points on your final, Tim. :)

Had my 14-yr-old daughter take it.  She got 7 of 10.  However, I gave her half credit for calling Uncle Joe a 'degenerate gambler'!

A lot of students call him a "street-hustling sexual deviant."  I tell them I'm not sure what Stalin did in his free time.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Dave Smith joined David JULIEN's group
Thumbnail

Lock 'n Load

This is the place to discuss Lock 'n Load tactical system.See More
3 hours ago
Dave Smith updated their profile
7 hours ago
Michael Stultz left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thank you, Eric.  Like you, I enjoy a variety of games, be they smaller faster games or…"
15 hours ago
Michael Stultz left a comment for Rick Barber
"Rick,  do you produce for purchase a larger map for Columbia Games’ Gettysburg Badges of…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Michael Stultz
"Michael, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find some Groups that you want…"
yesterday
Michael Stultz is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
Andy Loakes commented on Andy Loakes's group Limey Yank Games
"October Update Complete 8 days late but finally done. Apologies for the…"
yesterday
Danny S. Glab updated their profile
Friday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service