While doing yard work this morning I started thinking about ETO wargames. Then I started thinking if I made an ETO wargame what would I want in it. I'm not talking about all the systems it would take to make the game, just some basic stuff I would like in my perfect ETO wargame. Here are the items I thought of:
1. The game should fit on a 6' x 5' table. That is the size of my gaming table, any more than that and the wife has to park outside. Now I don't care if she parks outside but trying to convince her.....
2. An easy production aspect of the game. Something like TSR's ETO or GD's AETO. WiFFE is a little too much for my taste while SFE has a little too little.
3. Some way of upgrading units throughout the game. I know some games abstract this out by saying all armies upgraded throughout so its just a wash. However, I want my Soviet armies to get to be truly awesome, and I want the Grossdeutschland (sp?) to become devastating.
4. Corps/ Army size units with some divisions as needed.
5. A few "chrome" units like commandos, guard units, marines, etc.
6. Headquarters units for the various armies. With this in mind I want the HQ's to play a significant part in the war. They would have to be activated to control the various corps/armies in battle.
7. Strength markers!! I want to be able to tailor my corps/ armies by moving strength markers along the front, similiar to say Barbarossa and Air & Armor. I know people don't like this aspect but I think it is really cool. Even when playing solitare I sometimes forget the value of the SP's under units I just moved. If not this then something along the lines of Russian Front.
8. A strategic war that is not overly complicated. I want to be able to place units into the strategic warfare box, roll a die or two and then apply the results.
9. A naval war that is fun to play but not too complicated. I like the way JP3R does this with the different boxes in each sea area. I personally would like a fleet system where you assign different squadrons to respective fleets and then send them out but I think it might be a little much.
10. A combat system that maybe has a variety of results and has bonuses for combined arms, air support, terrain, etc.
11. An air system similiar to SFE or ETO. Simple but not simplistic.
Obviousely I am not sure how all of this would work out but it seems like a good game to me. What do you guys think should be in your perfect ETO wargame.