In my second game (or, actually, my first) Tonkin, I wanted to introduce a high level of interactivity and stress. This I solved by only allowing each player to conduct 1-3 actions before the opponent makes his 1-3 actions. An action could be to move a stack or make an attack or make a barrage etc. You never know, beforehand, if you will receive 1, 2 or 3 actions. Both players will eventually receive 10 actions per game turn, so if you receive to many "3:s" in the beginning and you don't save some of them, your opponent will be able to conduct a lot actions in a row in the end when yours are all spent.

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

The new map is getting better. Here is a sample of it.
OK, here is the final version (for now). Charts are adjusted and the online map is bigger which makes it feel sharper:

http://www.kangerproject.com/tonkin2/

The rules are going through a major overhaul. It will still be the same game as before but a lot of things have been thrown out in order to streamline it.
The counter art:

The new map, so far, of Tonkin looks like this:

http://www.kangerproject.com/tonkin2/

Adjusted counter art
Tonkin, which will published later this year, have a major problem though. I have deleted the rule about garrison (which really was just a way of decreasing the number of counters), but including those counters again poses another problem. Each French battalion is far too small to control the space that each hex constitutes (http://www.kangerproject.com/tonkin2). But the number of counters the french will have will enable him to easily place one counter in each hex in the whole delta area, and thereby deny Viet Minh of any empty hexes in the delta to enter.

One way to solve this is to increase the size and strength of the ordinary (not the paras and the legion) French battalion into a "double battalion" unit or into regiment size, and thus decrease the number of counters. But there were no such units so these ones would therefore be more of a generic kind.

Another way is to design the game so that it would be unfavourable for the French player to spread out his units in all the hexes and that he would prefer to stack them instead. A combat bonus for the part having a 3-1 ratio in stacking would make the French want to stack his units in order to avoid being killed.

A third way could be to delete some of the ordinary french units which never left the delta and instead give the french player free replacements during certain game turns.

Any opinions?
I would pick your first choice of making larger "generic units" because it is the most simple (from a play stand point) and reduces cases of stacking.
I would keep the historical unit counters even if it means fiddling with the rules.
During Indochina War, French have four types of units:
1- Intervention Battallions such as Legion, Paratroops, Moroccan Tabors
2- Combat Task forces (Groupements Mobiles GM)
3- Sector troops (?) (troupes de secteurs)
4- Commando troops usually assigned to a sector...

I think you could find an abstract system to simulate sector troops - concentrating combat units on the the other kind of troops.
Yes, I'm into that line of thinking. I have to figure which troops were the sector troops and not assigned into the GM's. Then I have to figure out what to do with them. Should I delete them and include abstract strength points or should I create larger regimental size generic sector units?
I think a better way should be to invent an abstract system (sector/guerilla zoning) and concentration of french sector troops/vietminh guerilla and reglars in these sector/guerilla will influence movment factors/supply....

it's just an idea !
Some cool Vietnamese music while you contemplate pledging for Tonkin

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

BoardTactical joined Bill Wood's group
Thumbnail

Victory Games

All Things Victory Games - the SPI/AH hybrid of the mid to late 80s.
1 hour ago
BoardTactical joined Alfonso Velasco's group
1 hour ago
BoardTactical joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

East Front Series -- GMT

This is the place to talk about strategy, tactics, etc. for the EFS games created by Vance!
1 hour ago
BoardTactical is now a member of ConsimWorld
2 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Qaidu And The Rise Of The Independent Mongol State In Central Asia" by Michal…"
18 hours ago
Profile IconDonald Egan and John Price1 joined ConsimWorld
yesterday
Ian Schofield posted a photo

Its a madhouse

Exactly how I feel about the media most of the time.
yesterday
Roberto Volpi is now a member of ConsimWorld
Thursday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service