I have designed a system for insurgency/counterinsurgency wars. Hopefully it is applicable to several topics. In any case, if you wish to go through a game turn. Check this out:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@304.CQXAdYoYMnD.85@.1dd2d9c2/0

Views: 99

Replies to This Discussion

Kim,
This looks incredible...I'd really like to see this incorporated into a game--it looks like you are well on your way to doing that. I review games at SMALLWARSJOURNAL.COM and would love to do this one when it comes out...looks to be by far the best thing I've yet seen....
There is a thought that this might work for the Rhodesia and Mocambique insurgencies during the seventies.
And perhaps Angola and Guinea-Bissau?
Another phase is added to the game turn walkthrough of Ici, c'est la France!

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@28.aP1QdT1jPbe.24@.1dd2d9c2/18
Inurgency wars cannot be depicted as a normal wargame since the war is so asymmetrical. France won the war in Algeria militarily, although FLN had quite a few men in Tunisia and Morocco, but lost it politically. So, three games have to be included. A political one which will affect the resources and the will to fight. A military one which will decide who has control over the land and people. And an insurgency one which will show who has the loyalty of the people. The people's loyalty will eventually decide the game, but you have to play all three skillfully since they are connected. Loose one and you will loose all three and the game.
Amen, brother. Bring on the game. I've been dying to play something with this kind of sophistication!
This approach could also be applied to the Portuguese Colonial (or Overseas, the official denomitation) War. Triggering (or avoiding) of the 1974 Revolution could be the final aim
of the players, which would have to fight for military, political and insurgency suppremacy, in a three-front space...Great idea. :)

Beats me how you can win the political war,De Gaul surrenders after Algeria is secured.Same thing in Rhodesia,and even Vietnam if you figure Watergate as Nixon forces the north to peace talks four times.Seems to me these kinds of games will wander in  to the realms of political science.

Roger Trinquier (commander of 3RPC) wrote the book "A French view of counterinsurgency". You can download it here:

http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/content.asp#modern
Kim

Have you received the books about the "portuguese way of war", from J. Cann (IIRC the name)? They could give interesting hints regarding this issue...
No, I haven't ordered it yet, but I will. I wonder, regarding the war in Mozambique, what was the Portuguese long term goal? Did the government contemplate any reforms, autonomy or something?
While Salazar was in power, the ultimate goal was to keep our Overseas Provinces at any cost, both for historical and affective reasons (these territories were Portuguese since the XVI century) and for practical reasons (Salazar thoughht that the territories were not ready to be independent)

In fact, as early as 1961, a set of social and economic reforms was implemented, aiming to "conquer the hearths and the minds" of the natives, particularly of the most educated classes. In fact, the 1960's saw and unprecedent economic growth of the Portuguese Africa.

Until Salazar's removal due to a famous accident, in 1968 (the fall from a chair), there was no question of granting the independence to the territories in the near future, although the idea of an extendend authonomy (which would inevitalbly lead to the independence) was being considered, but only after we had won the war...

After 1968, however, the new government dropped (although not officially) the idea of a "multi-ethnic and pluricontinental" nation withouth devising a practical alternative. In a famous speech, the premier Marcelo Caetano said the the Portuguese Armed forces could not pull out of Africa because the "portuguese" and the "native peoples" could not be abandoned. For all effects, this subtility sealed the fate of the former policy of non-abandonment.

Due to both the internal and external pressures and the indecision of the government in which course to follow, the situation degraded to a point that ultimately led to the April Revolution and all the traumatic events that followed which gave the independence to Angola, Mozambique and the other territories.

Hope this helps, Kim...

Best
Tiago

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2017
"Played a couple battles from Horse & Musket. We found the optional formation and facing…"
17 hours ago
Daniel Red Cloud Brown joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers

A group devoted to studying and practicing Marine Corps maneuver warfare doctrine through…See More
21 hours ago
Jim Thomas updated their profile
yesterday
Tom McKinney is now a member of ConsimWorld
Saturday
Magnus Kimura commented on Magnus Kimura's group B-26: The Marauder Strikes!
"Here is a Sequence of Play, created by Ken Legg, one of the B-26 test-pilots, somewhat modified by…"
Saturday
Greg Blanchett updated their profile
Saturday
Jeffrey Mayer posted a photo

15mm Panzer B2s

3d prints
Friday
Wayne Rotella posted a status
"GMT just charged for Holland '44! Wouldn't it be great to get before Sep 17th? This my be the most excited I have been about a game!"
Aug 17

Members

Top Content 

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service