I started last month a design about the Classical Germano-Russian Conflict of World-War 2.

This period has fascinated me for a long time, and I am still questing for the "perfect" East Front Game. Right now a modified AH/L2 Russian Campaign is still my favorite.

The one I am in the midst of making will certainly not be THE definitive simulation. But it is an interesting challenge:

I want to design it with not more than 4-6 pages of rules, an 11"x17" map, large hexes (15wx22h hexes), and... Well... Only 40 counters ( ! ). The low number of counters is already a challenge. And it has to be simple, yet fun, tense and realistic.

The map is done, the counters are pretty much decided, the rules too. Still some chrome to add, victory conditions to refine... I am still changing the way the combat results are done, but everything should be finished by the end of this month.

I'll post some pictures/comments later.

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Are you looking for playtesters Carl ?
Good question...

Well... I guess I am!! :^)

But not before I get a computer-printable version. Right now it's a semi hand-drawned map.

Note that the game will be very simple and fast-playing. I am looking at simulating the whole East Front in WWII inside 3 hours playing time. the main challenge for now is to make the game interesting despite the small size. I humbly thing I am getting there; but you can only simplify to a point.

I'll let you know when things are ready. Thanks a lot for the offer!
I kind of like when you decide the limits first. You say like: "Small map, 6 pages of rules, 40 counters and 3 hours. Now, let's see what we can do of it."

I think that is good. Far too many games end up with excess of everything.
Yes absolutely. this is what I was saying to a gamer girlfriend over the phone a few minutes ago. it's very difficult to design a good interesting game with minimalist parameters. The temptation is to add and add and add more and more stuff; I mean, everybody can do that!!! :^)
Carl,
I'm in as a tester when your ready.
Also this game sounds like a good canidate for Victory Point Games to publish when it's ready. They do small good games
Cool, another prospective playtester!

> Also this game sounds like a good canidate for Victory Point Games to publish when it's ready.

Yes. :^)
Hello Chuck!

Not sure if it will be good enough to be published one day, but I am having great fun designing it a researching the topic. War in the East? Well my game will be far smaller: Only 40 counters! :-)

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jim Thomas updated their profile
59 minutes ago
Jonathan Kapleau updated their profile
yesterday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2017
"Circus Maximus (above) and Imperium (below).  From GMT's "Rome" 2002. …"
Sunday
David Wessman updated their profile
Sunday
Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson replied to Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson's discussion Squad Leader (and similar games) as a tool for creating tactical decision games (TDGs) and free wargames in the group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"This is splendid.  Thank you so much for the post, as well as for the article."
Nov 15
Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson and Alan Hastings are now friends
Nov 15
Markm1767 commented on Markm1767's photo
Thumbnail

pl6

"Panzer leader situation No. 10 Operation Market: Arnhem. Decisive German victory."
Nov 13
Markm1767 posted photos
Nov 13

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service