As most of my friends know I'm a huge Mark H. Walker and LNL company fan. I love his Cold War games and I think modeling Vietnam for infantry combat is fascinating. He is also an advocate of electronic publishing - which is the future of publishing. Instead of trying to put a full game into his magazine he puts maps and counters ready for print into his documents. I think this is fantastic. I can reprint components any time and take the documents with me on the road on my laptop...
I'm the kind of person who like to communicate the bad before the good - so here's my pet peeves on LNL's downloadable content.
1. The Forgotten Heroes counters are not printed with registration lines - simply put I've spent hours if not days trying to cut them out properly and it just doesn't work. MARK PLEASE HELP - CAN I GET SOME LINES - I LOVE YOU MAN BUT IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!
2. This isn't a really a problem but something to be aware of - these documents are in European formats - A3, A4 etc.... This can cause scaling issues. I'm an advanced computer user and it still catches me by surprise.
3. Somethings just don't print consistently for users. There is a set of counters for World At War that I can't get to scale properly.
Here is the good - I know it looks underwhelming but on balance it kicks butt!
1. I've recreated all of the maps and mounted them. They look spectacular. Even my wife was impressed. I wish Mark would make sure all of the maps would be available electronically.
2. You can reprint the counters as many times as you want.
3. You can print the scenarios as many times as you want.
4. You can print the rules as many times as you want.
5. The quality of production is second to none. The emphis on production and artwork is awesome.
6. The openess of Mark to ideas and concerns.
As a follow up to this I will show how I get the maps to look so good!!!