I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "The Crusades: The World's Debate" by Hilaire Belloc. Mr. Belloc has an interesting debate on the Western Counter-Crusades(Counter-Jihad). This book only covers from the First Crusade to the losing of Jerusalem in 1187AD. Everything after is of no importance.  The Crusaders should of taken Aleppo and Damascus. This would of militarily kept the muhammadans at bay. But because of their cultural mindset, lack of resources, and no senior military leaders the Crusades were a failure. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Roman Empire and the Silk Routes: The Ancient World Economy & and the Empires of Parthia, Central Asia, and Han China" by Raoul McLaughlin. The book covers the history of these regions in depth and how these trade relations occurred between Rome, Han China and all the lands in between. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "The Fallen Architect" by Charles Belfoure. A mystery novel that starts in 1900 England. A architect is sent to prison for 5 years at hard labor because his "theater building" collapses, killing several people and injuring others. He sets out to clear himself. Very Good and Recommended.

"The New Girl" by Daniel Silva. A spy novel where Gabriel Allon, head of Israeli intelligence, is called in to solve the kidnapping of the crown prince of Saudi Arabia's daughter by unknown people. The crown prince is responsible for the murder of a Saudi reporter in Constantinople at the Saudi Embassy. The reporter was cut to pieces. If Allon succeeds, the Israeli's could have a Friend as the future king of Saudi Arabia. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "The Anomaly" by Michael Rutger. A mystery novel about a lost cave in the Grand Canyon since 1909. A rogue archaeologist sets out with his team to find it. He finds much more than he bargain for. Not all secrets are meant to be found. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "Black Mountain: An Isaiah Coleridge Novel" by Laird Barron. Isaiah is a ex-hitman from the Mob who now is a PI. Does the usual but then a Mob Capo calls on his help in a double murder of 2 low level Wise Guys. He cannot refuse. This case will lead him down a path that pits him against a terrifying-and otherworldly-new enemy. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Mongol Conquests in World History" by Timothy May. The author believes the Mongol Empire is the beginning of the modern world. The Mongols destroyed empires, kingdoms, and replaced them with their own that was the largest contiguous empire in history. The Mongols caused changes, directly or indirectly, across the Eurasian land mass such as the Black Plague, new forms of warfare, religion, movements of people fleeing from their control that changed the demographics of lands(Ottomans). Very Good and Recommended.

"Neon Prey" by John Sandford. The latest Lucas Davenport Novel. Lucas and his team come to arrest a killer who has jumped bail but falls into a cesspool of bodies behind his house. The hunt is on, From New Orleans to LA and Las Vegas. Along the way more criminals are flushed out of the woodwork. Very Good and Recommended.

I have just started on the two volumes on French tanks by Steven Zaloga. This was sparked by playing War Thunder on the computer as a friend had taken to using French tanks in the game. They were pretty horrible generally in the game though their cast, shaped armour were pretty advanced.

I am also reading "Battle Flight: RAF Air Defence Projects and Weapons Since 1945" by Chris Gibson. This is about British Cold War air defences as denoted in the title, much of which were paper projects and prototypes that were never fielded. This is an area that I know little about.

"Winter Storm: The Battle for Stalingrad and the Operation to Rescue 6th Army" by Hans Wijers has just arrived in the mail. I have always wanted to read more accounts of the firefights in the tractor factory, the city fighting in general. This volume should have the narratives I seek.

And as I usual, I am reading numerous others, each at various stages of completion.

Read: "Witch Hunt" by Ian Rankin. A spy novel on an ingenious woman assassin, with as many methods as identities, a master of disguise with an instinct to escape....she is the "Witch". A international conference is being held in London with all the usual suspects. Is one of them her target or all of them. It could be just a coincidence. But not likely. Very Good and Recommended.

"Let Trump Be Trump: The Inside Story of His Rise to the Presidency" by Corey R. Lewandowski and David N. Bossie. This is Trump's story by authors who were there and saw and experienced the greatest political tale in the history of America. Very Good and Recommended.

I have read the Complaints and the Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin some years ago, I enjoyed them.

I've read Rankin's John Rebus detective novels only till now. The "Witch Hunt" is a stand along book. Maybe try some more non-Rebus novels.

I have yet to try the Rebus ones. The Rebus ones, I understand, is his primary vehicle.

I know that there is one or two later where Rebus meets the Complaints people.

Yes, Rebus is his main character. I've seen a Rebus book with the "Complaints dept.". Have not read all the Rebus books and a couple I did not like, but most were very good.

I just finished "The Gempei War 1180-85" by Stephen Turnbull. It is a topic that I know almost nothing about. My sister has "The Tale of the Heike" lying about at home. I may read that one day.

I am mid-way through this volume about the AMX-13 as recommended by IanThompson. It's an excellent volume, examining the little known history of it as well as the numerous variants. The photos are from private collections. Highly recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "City of Victory: The Rise and Fall of Vijayanagara" by Rarnakar Sadasyula. The…"
14 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Francisco José Ronco Poce
"GD '40 remains one of my favorite TCS games because one can see the stark differences between…"
19 hours ago
Francisco José Ronco Poce updated their profile
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for R.A.H.J. Damwijk
"R.A.H.J. -- Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  You seem to have a preference for…"
yesterday
Profile IconR.A.H.J. Damwijk and Roger Knowles joined ConsimWorld
Thursday
Eric Walters left a comment for Roger Knowles
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Roger!  My mom grew up on the East Side (Cleveland…"
Wednesday
Dave Smith joined David JULIEN's group
Thumbnail

Lock 'n Load

This is the place to discuss Lock 'n Load tactical system.See More
Tuesday
Dave Smith updated their profile
Monday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service