Years ago I stopped playing ASL for several reasons; one that broke the camel's back was when a couple of idiots showed up in SS tunics!! I now play everything solitaire. I did not hesitate to preorder B-29! Anyone else here into strictly solitaire? I even incorporated ASL Retro and modified it somewhat to include impulse and initiative like ATS does. My old gamers would cringe, but what the heck, I purchased these games and I can play them as I see fit!

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adam, gasoline costs can also be prohibitive. Being a married man with a family, I have more important things to spend $$ on!
Adam,

If you are in the LA area, get in contact with Nathan Kilgore. He is a great guy and will gladly show you how to play Iron Tide.

There is a group that meets somewhere around there. He can tell you more.

WAC
I have a great game to play solitaire. It's called James Bond Assault. It uses a chit pull system where each side gets to move, fire or assign orders. Each commander (called heros in the game) have a command radius so pieces can be out of command and suffer morale. If you play each side to the best of your abilities given the situation it is very rewarding.
Hi Mike,
Sounds like a fun game. Where can I get a copy?
ebay or the market place on Boardgamegeek are your best bets.
Tad, I play about 99% solitaire. Good opponents, non-whiners and cheaters, are few and far between, so I just stay away. I'm really into chit activation systems lately. I have my own that I add on to other games. I'm playing MBT right now, but used chits in Firepower, Forward to Richmond, Royalists and Roundheads, and Crossbows and Cannon. Firepower already had an activation system, but it was unstisfying, so I used my own.
Mr. Ishihara,
You are a better person than I, because if I saw two persons show up in SS tunics at a wargaming event wearing SS tunics because they liked them (assuming they were not there as part of a recreation exhibit or something similar) or thought the SS and their uniforms were 'cool' I would definitely have given them a talking down!

I'm relatively new to the board wargaming scene, but I have spent time with some PC wargames. I have also noticed how some folks (hopefully, not too many...) who play World War 2 wargames seem to suffer from what others derisively call "Wehrmacht Penis Envy" or WPE. IIRC...These folks seem to revere the German army to such a degree that they believe the Wehrmacht was infallible and lost the war due to the allies having more numbers and lesser quality troops! They also seem to think the Wehrmacht was 'cool' because of their weapons, uniforms, etc. Worst of all imho these WPE folks always push (or make strong demands) to play as the Germans in wargames. I've encountered a few in my PC wargaming and I quickly cut off all contact with them.
The WPE folks are rather odd imho...

Personally, I would not let two them dictate if you play your wargames solo or face-to-face. I have faith in people and I bet you can find decent folks to play face-to-face in your area!

Cheers!
-Packy

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Scott Martin left a comment for Eric Walters
"Sounds like a plan."
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Scott Martin
"When I do slow down, it would have to be RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN!  I love that game so much!"
yesterday
"I have been recently replenishing my collection of AH and SPI games.  AK or Stalingrad (or The…"
Thursday
"Well it was current about 15 years ago, give or take... I've been in the SF Bay Area for the…"
Thursday
Eric Walters commented on Eric Walters's group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"New game out on small unit infantry combat in the Central Highlands of Vietnam--yes, it's all…"
Wednesday
"Sometime I should get into VASSAL--I just never have time for it these days with school,…"
Wednesday
"The current T-shirt looks terrific!  I like the "roll well and live" design on it!"
Wednesday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have just started on the two volumes on French tanks by Steven Zaloga. This was sparked by…"
Wednesday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service