OSG started out as TSG(Tactical Studies Group) with Napoleon at Bay.Then quickly changed their name to OSG(Operational Studies Group) .I'm glad they did. TSG sounded too close to TSR! OSG came out with a very nice line up of games in the early years-Napoleon at Leipzig,Dark December,Tunisia,Panzerkreig(update of Rands von Manstein in the Ukraine),Napoleon at Bay,Bonaparte in Italy and those nice little capsule games like Legend of Robin Hood ,Arcola,Battles of the Hundred Days,20th Maine.

Then OSG disappeared. NaB,Panzerkrieg and the small capsule games were sold to Avalon Hill. and NaL ended up with Clash of Arms.

OSG came back again like the legendary Phoenix to grace our gaming tables with a new Napoleon at Bay,Four Lost Battles,Highway to the Kremlin ,Sun of Austerlitz and other titles.I'm glad Kevin Zucker brought the company back to us again. I missed OSG when they faded from the scene. I had hopes when OSG first came out with those first games they would fill a large nitch left by SPI's downfall but that was not to be.But Kevin has produced some fine new games and the future looks good for them. at least I'm happy they came back.

Views: 199

Replies to This Discussion

I'm embarrassed to say that OSG falls under the unique category of a company I truly admire, yet for some very odd reason, I have never been able to break out and play one of their games. :-( My goal is to start with Napoleon at Bay, naturally -- I have to start where it all began for Kevin Zucker...and I remember to this day receiving the original TSG ziplock version of the game and coming away very impressed with it.
John, I have all of Kevin's Nappy games except for Habit of Victory. So maybe one of these days we could bust out one... :-)
OSG and Kevin did (do) always the deepest historical research before publishing games. So they are not only games but important studies about the period described (I use them for my lessons too ... psst don't tell this to my pupils)
Hi.
I just heard that Vae Victis Nr. 79 has appeared with the review of The Habit of Victory. My copy hasn't arrived yet. Has anyone seen this?
I have it Kevin, my daughter just got back from Tours (she went to France for St Paddy's day - there is logic behind it believe it or not). I'll email you a copy of the article - but don't tell Mr Bey ;-)
Andy,

Your daughter had recently left to school in France when I visited you. Thanks for emailing the review.
The review is by Denis Sauvage (the issue game designer). The reviewer gives a very good opinion about the game (map is a masterpiece!) and remarks the set-up operations as faster than previous games. The Mark Herman approach to the system is judged as surprisingly innovative. The only doubt about the role of cards upon the speed of the game and the random events: " Designers said the game will be faster with cards and with a lot of suspence, but is difficult to give a detailed impression only by reading rules. Let the answer to the players"
However Frédéric can better detail this French review.
Ciao
The title of this thread is very apt in my case. I do believe that the first game I bought new on returning to the hobby was Sun of Austerlitz. And one of the last ones I bought before losing my way was Bonaparte in Italy (1st Ed). Coincidentally I'm due to start a game of BinI (2nd Ed) tomorrow night - it'll be the first play of this game in over 20 years. Spooky. :-)
It seems this is an old thread but I was wondering what the ISG story was. I believe the Zucker games are some of the best wargames out there. Historical fidelity, challenging play, always interesting and fun. I am trying to collect them all...

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2019
"Our 3rd play of Sixth Fleet ended with a very close Draw. The Russians did a good job of capturing…"
11 hours ago
76mm updated their profile
12 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Rise of the Tang Dynasty: The Reunification of China and the Military Response to the…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Dave Stevens
"Dave, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  You seem to be a serious old school Great…"
yesterday
Dave Stevens is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
Jim Werbaneth commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post News, and It's Not Good
"Thanks Wayne.  I'm actually doing better now, and will be seeing the surgeon for my…"
Sunday
Wayne Rotella commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post News, and It's Not Good
"Sending you positive thoughts. Get better."
Sunday
paul torres left a comment for Wild Bill Wilder
"Do you have a business address. I am interested in obtaining your Battle of the bulge variant for…"
Saturday

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service