Just got my copy of Poland Defiant in my mailbox.  Of course, I had to set it up on the table and start playing it.  My first impressions upon punching the counters and reading the rules are that this is more of an old school type operational-game, but using formation activations such as we see in other games by this company (e.g., Konigsberg: The Soviet Attack on East Prussia, 1945).  The map detail is marvelous and even minor features like villages have significant terrain effects; in this case, defenders in villages can ignore the first hex of retreat.  The graphic feel of the map is pure Joe Youst--it looks a lot like his other Eastern Front cartographic treatments.  The game covers only the first ten days of the operation in ten turns.  It also doesn't contain variant rules like one sees in Ty Bomba's old Poland '39: The Nightmare Begins, or even the more recent Lock 'N Load's Summer Lightning: The Invasion of Poland, 1939.  But for those who want to pit their skills in the actual historical situation in an easy-to-learn, playable and interactive format, this game delivers.

Views: 22

Replies to This Discussion

Am slowly documenting a solitaire play-by-play of the game on BGG here.  See what you think.  Will try to post more frequently on this; had some health issues distracting me for a while but those are now resolved and I aim to chug along on this.  Given it's the 80th anniversary of the 1939 Polish Campaign, this seemed appropriate.  I really like this game!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Relic" by Alan Dean Foster. A SF novel with a twist.  In the distant future,…"
Tuesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Bob Jones
"Bob, great to see you here!  Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find…"
Sunday
Bob Jones is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Eric Walters left a comment for Chris Haupt
"Chris, it sure looks like you appreciate the pre-Napoleonic and Napoleonic era games!  1776…"
Nov 30
Chris Haupt updated their profile
Nov 28
Eric Walters commented on John G Galloway's photo
Thumbnail

GMT Stalingrad 42

"Am wanting to dive into this myself, but I've got a stack of games in front of it in my…"
Nov 28
John G Galloway posted a photo

GMT Stalingrad 42

Another fantastic Simonitch design that fits perfectly on my table.
Nov 28
Dennis A. Spors commented on Dennis A. Spors's group Marshal Enterprises
"We are working on a new title but it will not be a game in Spain. The new release will be featured…"
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service